A Farewell To Dolly Parton: The Woman Whose Music Touched My Soul
By John Mutsengi – The Great GoneX
Today, my heart is heavy as I bid farewell to one of the greatest musical voices and songwriters the world has ever known — Dolly Parton.
To millions around the world, she was the Queen of Country Music. She was a singer, songwriter, storyteller, entertainer and humanitarian. But to me, she was something even more personal: an inspiration.
I was a truly ardent fan of Dolly Parton. There was something special about the way she could take simple words, wrap them in beautiful melodies and turn them into songs that spoke directly to the human heart. Her music had warmth. It had honesty. It had emotion. And above all, it had soul.
There was also a remarkable personal connection between us — one that I will forever cherish. Dolly Parton and I shared the same birthday, January 19. But our connection goes even deeper: I was born on January 19, 1976, the very day Dolly Parton was celebrating her 30th birthday.
As she celebrated three decades of life and continued her remarkable journey in music, thousands of miles away, my own life was just beginning. I could never have imagined that the woman whose birthday I shared would one day become one of the greatest musical inspirations in my own life.
We never met. We never shared a stage. She probably never knew that somewhere in Zimbabwe there was a musician born on the day she turned 30 who would grow up to love her music so deeply. Yet, through music, she became part of my journey.
As a songwriter myself, I cannot separate some of my own musical development from the inspiration I drew from listening to Dolly Parton's music. The way I composed my song, When The Fresh Summer Roses Bloom, was influenced by my love for her music and her beautiful ability to express love, nature and human emotion through song.
When I wrote:
“When the fresh roses of the summer blossom,
When the fresh breeze of the summer blows,
E'en when the fresh waters of the summer flows,
Our love should also do likewise...”
I was expressing my own feelings as a songwriter. But somewhere in that creative journey was the influence of an artist whose music had taught me that a song does not always need complicated words to become timeless. Sometimes, simplicity is powerful. Sometimes, sincerity is enough. Sometimes, a melody sung from the heart can travel across generations and across continents.
And that is exactly what Dolly Parton did.
From Tennessee to the rest of the world, her voice travelled farther than geography. Her songs crossed borders, cultures and generations. Even here in Zimbabwe, her artistry found a place in my heart and helped shape part of my own musical imagination.
Today, the world mourns a legend. But I also choose to celebrate a life that gave the world so much beauty, joy and inspiration.
Dolly Parton may no longer be with us, but her songs remain. Her melodies remain. Her stories remain. And for musicians like myself who found inspiration in her extraordinary gift, her influence will remain forever.
When January 19 comes again, I will not only celebrate the day I was born. I will remember that on the very day my life began, Dolly Parton was celebrating her 30th birthday. I will remember the woman who shared my birthday and whose music would eventually find its way into my heart and influence my own songwriting journey.
And whenever I hear the sweet sounds of country music, or whenever When The Fresh Summer Roses Bloom is played, I will remember one of the musical influences behind the spirit in which that song was composed.
Rest peacefully, Dolly.
Thank you for the music.
Thank you for the inspiration.
Thank you for teaching us that a simple song, sung from the heart, can live forever.
You were celebrating 30 years of life on the very day mine began.
We shared a birthday.
We shared a love for music.
And your music became part of my own journey.
Farewell, Dolly Parton — my birthday twin, my musical inspiration and a legend I will never forget.
The Queen may be gone, but her music will reign forever.
John Mutsengi – The Great GoneX
Zimbabwe
Comments
Post a Comment